An extended family member of a qualified EEA national can apply for a Residence Card which confirms their right to work. Our team are specialists in assisting clients through the application process.

If you are an EEA citizen or from Switzerland and you are in the UK or planning to come and want to bring extended family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals, they may be able to make an application for an EEA permit or residence card so they can live with you in the UK. Our expert team will be able to advise you on the best way forward for your circumstances and can assist you with your visa application.

Who is a Qualified Person?

An extended family member is:

  • a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece of an EEA national.
  • An unmarried partner in a “durable relationship” with an EEA national.
  • If you have the right to reside as a student, then parents, grandparents and grandchildren will also be counted as such.

They will need to apply for an EEA family permit or residence card before entering the UK.
They must be able to show that they are dependent on the EEA citizen or are a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you.
Children are eligible up to the age of 21, or older if they are dependants.
You can also apply for an EEA Family Permit as an unmarried partner if you can show that you are in a lasting relationship with the EEA national.
If you have other relatives that do not fall within that definition, they may be able to rely on EU law to obtain a right of residence in the UK. This is not guaranteed, instead, it requires discretion to be exercised in their favour. Each case is rigorously assessed on its individual merits, which is why it is so important to seek legal representation.

Discretionary Leave to Remain


Extended Family members (Unmarried partners of EEA National or any other relative of the EEA National or their spouse) must apply for a residence card or permit. For extended family member applications, the applicant will be required to prove:

  • Dependency on the EEA National or that they form part of the EEA Nationals’ Household. This must be before and or after the applicant entered the UK.
  • That they need personal care of the EEA National (or their spouse or Civil Partner) on serious health grounds.

Our immigration solicitors will be able to advise you on your specific circumstances and can assist you with making any applications.

Our Expertise

Our specialist immigration solicitors will be by your side throughout all stages of your application. They discuss your circumstances and present you with options on how to proceed. Legal advice should always be sought before an application is submitted, the case must be argued well and in detail to show evidence that you meet the requirements.
  • chat
    There's no better time than now

People rely on us, and we pride ourselves on our client-centered advocacy and representation.

Why Choose Us?

Our Solicitors have many years of experience in dealing with EEA Extended Family Member applications. They will expertly guide you in all aspects of your immigration and are ideally positioned to explain the complexities of cases and can represent your position robustly in order to achieve your desired outcome.

How to Get in Contact

Please call us on 01234 350 244 or email us at for further information and advice about our family visa application services. We will happily provide you with a free initial discussion about your individual circumstances.

Sharing the Love

Our doors are always open for you, come at any time and have a cup of tea with us!

Drop Us Message And We Will Respond In No Time!

    | Read Term of Use